I have never seen the Johnny Depp movie “The Libertine”, nor have I eaten at a restaurant named “The Libertine” (real), or had drinks at a bar (real) or pub (real) named “Libertine”, or enjoyed the taste of a “Libertine Ale” (real), or, to the best of my knowledge, inhaled the fragrance of White Musk Libertine (real) perfume.
But I do remember, when first stumbling across the word in my late teens, having an idea for a man who during the day pretended to be a conservative but at night donned a mask and costume to become “The Libertine”, scourge of the straight-laced.
- a person, especially a man, who behaves without moral principles or a sense of responsibility, especially in sexual matters.
- philanderer, playboy, rake, roué, Don Juan, Lothario, Casanova,Romeo;
- a person who rejects accepted opinions in matters of religion; a freethinker.
- characterized by a disregard of morality, especially in sexual matters.
- “his more libertine impulses”
- freethinking in matters of religion.